This program is component of this (Res)MA History Programme. It is really not available for BA pupils.
This Research Seminar is targeted on the archives regarding the VOC or Dutch East India Company. It partly functions as a practical, more counterpart that is specific of Literature Seminar. It relates to a few of the basic archival dilemmas talked about here, but details them into the context of a seventeenth- and 18th-century Dutch-Asian enterprise that is commercial. Even though the VOC records formally comprised business management, in training additionally they functioned as a huge repository of valuable and key info on a number of occasions in early-modern Asia.
The different staying VOC archives consist of numerous numerous kinds and even «genres» of papers, including maps. Further, they partly overlap with materials that fall beyond your confines among these collections, but they are closely linked to them, such as for instance personal documents, missionary records, travel records, as well as pieces of art. These diverse materials had been produced with various purposes, are comprised and organised in numerous means, and information that is present various perspecitives.
This seminar considers and compares all of these sources from both an archival and a point that is historiographical of. In addition it looks for similarities and differences when considering, from the one hand, the VOC archives and, having said that, archives of contemporaneous Dutch organizations and of other European international trading organizations. Students who cannot browse (old) Dutch may make use of such other European documents, for instance those of this English East Asia business.
The student has obtained:
- 1 The power to separately recognize and choose literary works, making use of conventional and modern practices;
- 2 The capability to separately determine and choose sources, making use of old-fashioned and techniques that are modern
- 3 The capability to analyse and assess a corpus of sources with a view to handling a certain problem that is historical
- 4 the capability to analyse and assess literary works having a view to handling a certain problem that is historical
- 5 the capability to individually formulate a definite and well-argued research concern, considering the concept and way of the industry also to reduce this concern to available and workable sub-questions;
- 6 the capacity to separately put up and execute a initial research study that could make a share to existing scholarly debates;
- 7 the capacity to provide a definite and well-founded dental and written report on research outcomes in proper English, whenever needed, or Dutch, meeting the criteria associated with control;
- 8 the capacity to be involved in present debates into the specialisation;
- 9 the capability to provide constructive feedback to and formulate criticism of this work of others and also the power to assess the worth of such critique and feedback on one’s very very own work and combine it;
- 10 (ResMA just): The capacity to take part in a conversation associated with the theoretical fundamentals for the control.
Learning goals, with respect to the specialisation
- 11 Thorough knowledge and comprehension of just one associated with the specialisations or subspecialisations along with regarding the historiography associated with specialisation, concentrating specially in the after; within the specialisation Archival Studies: archiving in a context that is colonial understanding of the importance of archiving procedures for the manner in which a culture relates to its documents heritage as a whole and its own historical practice in specific; disclosure, including electronic disclosure, of archives within the wider history write my paper sector.
- 12 Thorough knowledge and comprehension of this theoretical, conceptual and methodological areas of the specialisation or subspecialisation under consideration, with a focus that is particular the annotated following: when you look at the specialisation Archival Studies: theoretical foundations of archivistics; evaluation and collection of archives.
Learning goals, related to this Research Seminar
- 13 Thorough comprehension of the organization regarding the VOC archives and exactly how it even compares to the organization of closely associated materials (personal documents, missionary records, etc.), to archives of contemporaneous Dutch organizations also to records of other European trading that is overseas.
- 14 Thorough knowledge of exactly just how these different organisational concepts are regarding the goals and audiences of the materials and also the kind and tone of data they have.
- 15 the capacity to analyse and compare archives produced in a early-modern Dutch-non-Western context.
- 16 (ResMA only): the capacity to put up and execute initial research that raises brand brand brand new concerns, pioneers brand new apporaches and/or points to brand brand new guidelines for future research.